There are a million and one weight loss programs out, so how come it is so easy to keep failing, time after time. Basically to make any lifelong changes, you have to make some changes to your emotional world and this is where Personal Power comes in.
Without Personal Power it is almost impossible to bring about changes in your life. You will be at the mercy of your peers, friends and family who continue to do as they always have in terms of their eating and lifestyle habits. It is all too easy to give in to temptation when around them. So without giving up contact with the outside world, you need to develop Personal Power and motivation.
Developing your Personal Power means standing up for what you believe in, finding a sense of direction and confidence to stand up for what you believe in.
Personal power is related to how you feel about yourself. But it is also related to your own self will – to your own sense of direction and confidence to stand up for what you believe in.
As anyone who has succeeded with making lifelong changes to their diet and lifestyle will tell you, Personal Power is a vital part of any successful weight management journey. Never mind the shakes, slimming teas or the magic pills, the key to your weight loss success is knowing who you are and allowing nothing to get in the way of achieving your goals.
The truth is however, that it is not the tempting foods or the socializing with family and friends that are preventing you from achieving a healthy weight. The things that usually put a stop to your success are frequently emotional triggers and a lack of Personal Power.
So here are some tips on how to gain Personal Power to achieve your health goals.
1. Take complete responsibility for where you are at in life. Don’t blame others around you for the situation that you find yourself in. Admit to yourself that your excess weight is more than likely related to the choices that you have made in regards to your food choices, exercise and other lifestyle factors;
2. Allow yourself to go through the whole grieving process (anger,denial, blame, acceptance) if necessary to get to the point where you can accept that everything that has happened in your life – including your weight gain, is down to the decisions that you have made;
3. Make yourself open to feedback from others – you may be surprised what others see in you, that you don’t see;
4. Recognize your own strengths and weaknesses. Embrace your strengths and work on improving your weaknesses;
5. Confront your demons – we all have them. Emotions such as guilt and shame drive us to do many things or make us avoid doing other things that we know we should be doing;
6. Establish clear and achievable goals along with some action steps to achieve those goals. This might include losing so many lbs or kilos each week. And an action step might be to exercise daily. Be specific and record your progress towards achieving your goals.
7. Tell other people around you what your goals are – announcing them to the world often makes them easier to achieve;
8. Don’t allow others to take away your Personal Power. You know what is right for you –if others around you won’t support you on your path towards better health then perhaps you are better off spending time with people who will;
9. Recognize your moments of weakness and work out a strategy to deal with these. For example if you plonk yourself down in front of the TV for hours every night and tuck into a few snacks at the same time, change your actions. Go for a walk at night instead or read a motivating book. If you know that you will weaken and have a snack, have a good high protein snack such as nuts and greek yoghurt at the ready. You know your weak moments – identify them and work out a strategy to deal with them.
10. With your new Personal Power, you will enhance your chance of achieving your goals enormously. And with any achievement there needs to be a reward at the end. So before you embark on your health journey, work out what your reward will be. Make it something that you could only give to yourself by achieving your goal. For example, a photo session of you with your new sexy look or a new wardrobe that is a size smaller than what you are currently wearing.
Personal Power is as it says, personal. By working out who you really are and what you really want in life, you are setting yourself up for success and avoiding the failures of the past.