Recipe to Health or Recipe to Riches? Here at Recipe to Health you will find the recipes and advise to help you achieve life’s real riches, the gift of good health.
The new TV show Recipe to Riches is all about creating a great dish that tastes great and will sell well in the supermarket. Recipe to Riches ultimately has one winner. Unlike Recipe to Riches, Recipe to Health helps everyone to win.
We have all the heard the clichés that “money can’t buy you happiness” and “without your health you have nothing”. It is certainly true that being rich cannot compensate for having pain, cancer, diabetes, heart disease or other debilitating disease. Of course it is true that being wealthy might afford you better health care. But hopefully most of us realize that what we do with our life (i.e. eat good food, avoid stress and toxic environments) and what we don’t do (i.e. exercise, enjoy life) will largely determine our long term health.
Our health is our wealth.
It is the little things that we do each and every day that largely determines which way the pendulum of health or disease will swing.
In this age of information overload, we cannot say that we don’t know how to eat healthily. It is true that some people will have specific health problems, food intolerances, or gut issues that create special eating requirements, but for most people, the rules of healthy eating are simple. Here’s a quick reminder:
9 Steps to Healthy Eating
- Avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners. Sugar is a modern day poison. Fat in our diet is not the problem. Excess sugar in the diet is the cause of multiple health problems such as obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, insulin resistance and increased risk of cancer.
- Eat fresh, whole foods like vegetables, nuts, and grains. If you are overweight, limit sugary fruits to one piece a day.
- Eat adequate protein. That means 30% with every meal. Proteins include meat, fish, dairy, eggs, tofu, protein shakes. You will also get some protein from vegetarian sources such as legumes and quinoa.
- Avoid processed foods. What are processed foods? Basically any food in a packet or can. Any foods where you can’t identify the initial ingredients. As one of my nutrition lecturers once pointed out, “there is no such thing as a ‘bread tree’, ‘a biscuit tree’ or ‘a pasta tree’. These are processed products that are often high in gluten and sugar.
- Start your day with a protein rich meal that will give you sustained energy. Sugary cereals and fruit will give you a boost of sugar (and temporary energy), which will quickly be followed by a spike of insulin to process the sugar, which after a few hours will results in a plummet of your blood sugar levels and your energy. Protein will give you increased satiety and will not have a negative impact upon your insulin.
- Drink plenty of filtered water. Start the day with juice of a lemon in some water to aid digestion.
- Avoid sodas and soft drinks.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Red wine is a vital part of the healthy Mediterranean diet.
- Do cook at home. After a while you will develop your own style and can quickly put together something yummy without any recipes. Cooking can be incredibly enjoyable, saves you money and helps you control what does or doesn’t go into your food and your body.
Whilst living a rich life can mean being financially wealthy, to others living a rich life means doing exciting or stimulating things, living a fruitful and varied life, experiencing different things or enjoying the little thing that life has to offer. Without good eating and lifestyle habits, ill health may prevent us from experiencing the rich, mosaic of life.
Recipe to Riches, the TV show can have only one winner. Recipe to Health on the other hand, can help everyone experience the true richness of life that comes from being healthy.
Written by Naturopath, Nurse and Formulating Chemist, Vivienne Savill
The new TV show Recipe to Riches is all about creating a great dish that tastes great and will sell well in the supermarket. Recipe to Riches ultimately has one winner. Unlike Recipe to Riches, Recipe to Health helps everyone to win. We have all the heard the clichés that “money can’t buy you happiness” […]